The Emblem is a symbolic badge wrapping up all the rich ancient history of Titchfield village whilst trying not to overload it with too much detail as it may be used for smaller print versions. It has been devised by four locals and work started in the Queen’s Head Inn with the first ideas in 2017. To date there has been minimal cost involved with the design of the Titchfield Emblem as it has remained within the local Community. Many key historic events were considered which have also been geographically aligned in the Titchfield Emblem.
Titchfield Emblem Surround is embraced with red petals to represent the Lancastrian dynasty, and with white tips representing the York dynasty. The white tips also symbolise purity relating to what was once a religious Roman Catholic building – Titchfield Abbey. The two roses are separated out from the well-known Tudor Rose which originated later in history. Three Fleur de Lys have been chosen to substitute the green fronds of the Tudor Rose. Fleur de Lys also indicates Henry V in particular, but also other regal influence.. Fleur de Lys can also be found in the Premonstratensian Canons coat of arms who founded the Abbey. Finally the Fleur de Lys can still be seen on the existing floor tiles in the Abbey.
The 4 Quadrants Explained:
Top Left symbolises one of the village’s oldest heritages – the very ancient Anglo-Saxon St. Peters Church founded by St Wilfred in 680 AD. His Bishops Crozier is also included as the horizontal divide between the top and bottom half of the Emblem. A similar Crozier was used by Premonstratensian Canons in their coat of arms when they inhabited Titchfield commencing in the13th Century and built Titchfield Abbey in 1232 AD.
Top Right symbolises the 4 remaining towers of the iconic Titchfield Abbey in the shape of a cross. The towers are slightly white to symbolise the white cannons who once occupied the abbey. A yellow Lion in the middle of the towers represents the Lion brought into the Abbey for the Royal Wedding of Henry VI and Margaret of Anjou in 1445 AD. The Lion was returned to the Tower of London after the royal ceremony.
Bottom Left symbolises Titchfield as an ancient Port before it was closed-off from the sea at Hill Head. It is represented by an old Anglo-Saxon ship in the Emblem. Ships would have come and gone from Titchfield for War (Battle of Crecy, Edward III 1346 AD, and Battle of Agincourt, Henry V 1415 AD) and trade to and from the tanneries including the wool industry.
Bottom Right symbolises Titchfield Haven Natural Nature Reserve with a white bird which could also represent the White Falcon from the Wriothesley coat of arms flying away.
One can also see a yellow spear running vertically down the centre of the Emblem dividing the left and right quadrants. This represents Shakespeare’s spear found on the old Shakespeare coat of arms. Shakespeare was friendly with the 3rd Earl of Southampton in 1593/94 which is reflected in the dedication of his only two poems. Shakespeare is also thought to have taught as a teacher in Titchfield in the late 1500s AD.
The scroll at the bottom is quite gothic with a Capital ‘T’ as a cross, and a small ‘t’ as a sword.